Super Math Bros (feat. PCS Teachers)

Tyler Hayford, High School Reporter

Title

Word is spreading about an impressive new computer game created by senior Shayne Hayes, which features playable PCS teachers. Hayes designed the original version of Super Math Bros. for his Senior Capstone project, but the current version is being developed for fun and general distribution.

Super Math Bros. functions as a Super Smash Bros. inspired fighting game, but in a pixelated two player platform style with 32×32 pixels. At this time, the game’s characters include 6 incredibly accurate representations of Mr. Perera, Ms. Hutchinson, Mr. Pasari, Ms. Roth, Mr. Garrett, and Mr. Koens, but the game is in a state of constant improvement and development.

Character Selection (Click for larger image)

The game begins with only Perera, Hutchison, and Hutchison’s Terracce as the playable characters and stage. Other characters and stages can be quickly unlocked. There are five stages total, including Hutchison’s Terrace, Pasari’s Laboratory, Roth’s Arena, Garrett’s Cliffside, Perera’s Volcano, and also the option to create a completely customized stage with your own graphics, music, and fighters.

Hayes collected characteristic voiceovers from all the involved teachers that can be heard during attacks and deaths.

Perera, the earliest and probably most popular character, throws books and has a downward “penetration” attack with a hammer/phallic symbol. His attacks spew out common phrases like “yes!”, “uhuh”, and “absolutely.”

Hutchison is slower than Perera, but has attacks that can go through walls. She’s the easiest to control of all the fighters. Her attacks include teaching and throwing a soccer ball, in addition to a downward pencil attack.

Pasari is the slowest fighter with indirect projectile attacks that need to be lined up and precisely controlled. His attacks included B-cells, worksheets, germinating peas, and other biology related weapons. He has the highest initial collision knock-back, so other characters at the beginning of the game will be knocked back easily in collisions with him. But the knock-back of other characters increases as Pasari’s damage goes up. The best strategy for Pasari is to avoid damage for as long as possible.

Roth is comic book themed, as she appears as a masked superhero. She has the ability to teleport and most of her attacks are summoning attacks, like summoning Ms. McCune and party cups. Her attacks can be powerfully charged if a player presses their attack button and stands still until the attack is charged.

Garrett is the toughest character to control, due to his lack of a double jump. However, he has a wide range of mobile attacks, including surfing and hovering in mid-air and using “the force”. Garrett’s main attack is hacky sacks.

Koens is the fastest but strangest character, because his moves are probability-based and have the chance to backfire. He is the only character that can heal, which compensates for the fact that his moves can damage himself.

Garrett vs. Perera at Pasari’s Laboratory (Click for larger image)

Like Super Smash Bros., Super Math Bros. has a “Math Ball” (“Smash Ball” in Super Smash) that a player can collect to unleash a super-powered “Final Math” attack.  Perera’s Final Math is Ocular Penetration, where he shoots laser beams out of his eyes. Hutchison has Prueba Pop, where she flies around and lays down bomb-like pop quizzes that pop like popcorn after a time.

The most devasting Final Math is Dr. Pasari’s “humoral response”, which hits his opponent with hordes of antibodies and B-cells. Roth’s Final Math makes all of her moves super-powered for a time. Garrett has High Tide, which summons a rush of surfboards and hacky sacks. Koens’ Final Math is The Silencer, a notorious block of wood which he uses in real life for obvious purposes in his classroom.

Pasari’s “Humoral Response” Final Math against Roth at Hutchison’s Terrace (Click for larger image)

Ms. Musal is the boss that you can play against after you unlock all stages and characters and play a few extra games afterwards (a process that takes about 50 games total). She descends in a UFO-like aircraft that was drawn by senior Jackson Sides, and can use attacks from every other fighter, including the characters’ Final Maths.

Players die either by falling or being knocked away from the stage, or by reaching 100% damage.

A PC download of the game and detailed game information can be found at shaynehayes.net