Foreign Exchange Students

Perspectives from exchange students at PCS

Students interviewed:

Hina Takagi – 11th Grade

Jorge Delgado Ruede – 11th Grade

Federico Urso – 12th Grade

Greta Lindow – 11th Grade

Freda Liu – 11th Grae

Where did you live before coming here?

Hina: Tokyo, Japan

Jorge: Madrid, Spain

Federico: Tuscany, Italy

Greta: Essen, Germany

Freda: Weihai, China

Why did you decide to come to America?

Hina: I’ve been studying English in international school and I wanted to challenge myself in US.

Jorge: To learn a new culture and language.

Federico: Because my mother studied here, she went to college here. The American system is based on more experiences and allows you to achieve more job possibilities. Also, the high school is four years and the college is four years (in Italy it’s 5 years of high school, and 3 years of college). I wanted to experience different things, in a more balanced amount of time.

Greta: I always wanted to come to America. In Germany we watch American TV shows, so I’ve always loved the language and people. Also because I heard about Isabel, and thought, “oh my gosh I have to meet her.”

Freda: I wanted to experience a new culture, make new friends, and see things from a different perspective.

How is America different from your country?

Hina: Tokyo is way more crowded compared to California, and everyone uses train instead of car. Also we have much bigger campus than you guys.

Jorge: The food, the school, the people, the clothes, everything is different.

Federico: In the US, people tend to be more friendly and caring about other people, people’s lives. In Italy people care less about other people’s interests, and their goals are strictly related with their own perspectives. Here people think more about other people.

Greta: The people are more open minded here, but in Germany you can walk on any street and have it not be dangerous. You have more freedom without a car and can go places more easily. In PCS you have less dress code, but in Germany you have a lot of pressure based on what you wear.

Freda: In China, high school starts at 6 in the morning and ends at 9:30 at night. Instead of recess we have “nap time.”

What are your plans for the future?

Hina: I will go back to Japan after finishing the whole year here and I’m planning to go to Japanese public college for two years (like a gap year). After that, I might comeback to US and go to university again.

Jorge: I’m thinking of taking a nap.

Federico: I am planning on going to community college in Berkeley and then moving to continue my studies there.

Greta: I just want to be happy.

Freda: I can stay here another year, so I will stay another year at another California high school, graduate, and then go to college in the U.S.