Valiant Volunteer Leticia Camacho

Leticia+Camacho+%28photo+by+Nicole+Trenchard%29

Leticia Camacho (photo by Nicole Trenchard)

Danielle Sugrue, Managing Editor

On a Saturday morning, when many PCS students are just waking up, senior Leticia Camacho is volunteering by baking goods for farm workers.

“During the holidays, I bake and package good to distribute to local farm workers in my area at Creekside Farms. I have learned a lot from the owners and staff there about what life is really like for immigrants who just want a better life for their families or themselves,” Camacho said.

Camacho’s upbringing helps her become more involved in local immigration issues and influences her thoughts on immigrants.

“Living in South County, I live in a community that is very passionate about immigration. After all, a large part of it is made up of immigrants themselves. My volunteer work has gotten me much closer to the problem that I ever expected to be,” Camacho said. “I believe that there is a huge misconception that all immigrants are illegal and therefore bad”, Camacho said. “True, that is the case sometimes, but not always.”

Camacho is exposed to an environment that is sympathetic to immigrants. However, at PCS, she is exposed to an environment which is very ignorant of immigration concerns.

“Citizens often take for granted our educational opportunities and begin to slack off just because they can. More needs to be done to help kids like us. I’ve gotten to know a few of them on a more personal level and have found them to have lives and struggles much like our own. I don’t think immigrants should be punished if they are willing to give their everything to the productivity of our country and are willing to do their share of legwork to create opportunities for themselves,” Camacho said.

Camacho explained that although the life of the average PCS student heavily differs from that of a South County immigrant, many of our struggles are comparable. However, U.S. citizens are not concerned with  the education they receive because it is given to them. Immigrants have to work much harder to go to school.

“I sympathize with young student immigrants the most because their situation is so difficult. They have to fight so hard to stay here just to go to school. The process is grueling simply because illegal immigrants often want so much that people have a bad image of legal immigrants,” Camacho said. “I too want the education of a lifetime and I believe that they deserve that chance as much as anybody else. Especially because they really are willing to work for it.”

Immigrants, legal and illegal, struggle to receive an education that will help them to land higher paying jobs. Leticia Camacho is making a valiant effort to spread awareness on this unjust situation. Her experiences have shaped her to see both sides of the immigration problem. Camacho makes an effort to not only help immigrants in their fight to receive an education, but also to educate U.S. citizens on a problem sitting right in front of them.