Student News Site of Pacific Collegiate School

The PCS Roar

The PCS Roar

The PCS Roar

Ultimate Team Ready for New Season

Within the start of the 2023-2024 PCS school year, the PCS ultimate frisbee team has opened its doors to another year of epic play! The team welcomes new coach Conner Mcginley, a graduated senior who has decided to return to PCS as a coach. Mcginley has shown good leadership so far as Ronan Mai, a member of the team states “He’s good at teaching and very patient with the younger students.”

Coaches had 3 teams representing PCS this year in an October tournament, The Fog 5 Cup. The results of the tournament have uplifted the spirits of the team tremendously– PCS’s “black” (varsity) team placed 4th place overall, while the “blue” team won a spirit award and placed 13th. Additionally, the middle school team won 2 out of 5 games. Historically, we have excelled in beach ultimate frisbee because of our location and access to several beaches, which is why the coaches created more beach practices for the team in preparation for the tournament.

Furthermore, the team is in its second year implementing a new strategy; with this new offensive system there should be lots of improvements across the team. Younger players will learn it for their first time and will advance to a higher level of play.

There is also a lot of excitement on the team due to an increase this year in the number of players. The varsity team is mostly sophomores, juniors, and seniors, which gives it a little bit of maturity. However, the team has lots of 7th-8th graders as well, which indicates future interest. There is currently one girl actively contributing to the ultimate frisbee team, although coaches hope that there will be more joining soon, and hope to start a girl’s team if there is enough interest.

Ronan Mai sums it up, saying “PCS ultimate frisbee has created a casual atmosphere for kids to get into playing sports. Ultimate frisbee is a very simple sport and you can easily learn the basics.” If you are interested in joining ultimate frisbee be sure to contact our coaches at [email protected] to join the team!