The PCS Roar

Voting In the 2016 Election

Parker Dolton, Columnist/ Announcements Disruptor

January 22, 2016

Why We Should All Vote: According to a report published by the U.S. Census Bureau, young people between the ages of 18 and 24 consistently have lower voting rates than other age groups. This is a long-standing historical trend that needs to change radically. While our current electoral process is far from perfect, if we have a diverse group of citizens voting to uphold their personal beliefs, we can better the entire process. How does this relate to us? We have a chance to change our future in regards to our economy, social rights, and the environment. Those aspects of society are important. Who Can Vote: Anyo...

Recent reports on airborne Carbon Dioxide

Andrew Vu, Satirist/ Columnist

January 22, 2016

Note that numbers like this (1) reference the calculations at the end of the article In 2010, humanity collectively released around 36.7 tonnes (metric tons, equal to 1000 kilograms, or around 1.1 tons, or 2,200 pounds) of CO2. Most of you probably read over that, thinking it another random fact in an endless slog of global warming statistics, but it’s important to take a second and make note: that is a lot of carbon dioxide. When I was in 7th grade, I once had an idea: we could take all of the CO2 in the air, compact it into solid form, and store it underground so it wouldn’t clog up our atmosphere. Of course,...

Construction Contract Dispute Disrupts Campus Life

Construction Contract Dispute Disrupts Campus Life

January 19, 2016

PCS students, parents, and staff have been greeted all week by protesters picketing on the sidewalk outside the new campus. If attention is the protesters’ aim, they have certainly received it. News of the controversy has spread quickly through the halls among students and teachers alike. Who are the protesters? Who is the contractor they are referencing? Is PCS really to blame? If not, why are ther...

El Nino: What Our Teachers Have to Say

Amelia Salzman, Calvin Dunbar, Alyssa Miller, Columnist

December 11, 2015

It's here. A few showers, days of rain here and there, increased swell, warmer waters--it all points to one thing: El Nino. Perhaps a storm of such a caliber could quench some of California’s thirst after so many years of severe drought. Or perhaps the upcoming precipitation will only bring slight reprieve from the climate change that has taken effect globally, and after it’s passing temperatures will continue to rise as water levels continue to drop. Either way, this long awaited storm will soon be upon us. So how should we prepare for the possible flooding, mud slides and various other side effects? Why not turn to...

Effects of Drought felt close to home

Rhiannon Mulligan, Columnist

November 17, 2015

In recent weeks, Santa Cruz County workers and PG&E employees have been working to prepare for the coming El Nino storm system (Baxter). City authorities and federal scientists are expecting rainfall and flooding of a magnitude that hasn’t been seen since the winter of 1997-1998 (Rogers). While many people in Santa Cruz are treating the coming storm as a panacea, it is very probable that El Nino will not actually end the prolonged drought in the state. Jay Lund of the UC Davis Center for Watershed Science says “[i]t is very unlikely that things will develop exactly as we’re hoping.” This call for cautiou...

“Almonds: A Nutty Industry for Drought-Afflicted California?”

“Almonds: A Nutty Industry for Drought-Afflicted California?”

November 17, 2015

California, our beautiful home, has been suffering from severe drought for about four years now. This change in California’s climate has affected the whole state, including Santa Cruz— lawns are brown, the plants are wilting, the air is dry, and every time you pass Lexington Reservoir the dropping water line is distinct. This severe drought in Santa Cruz has forced us to change our habits in an e...

Homecoming Volleyball

Blake Dixon, High School Reporter

March 23, 2015

To finish off homecoming week, PCS had its homecoming boys varsity volleyball team play a home game against Soquel. The game took place after school on Friday in the PCS gym where a large crowd attended to watch the game and announcement of homecoming king and queen. PCS won the game by winning 3 out of 5 matches after falling behind 2-1 matches and rallying back to win the game. Gabe Lavendel and Neetu Patel won homecoming king and queen.

Focused Driving Isn’t Always Safe Driving

Anaiis Nysether, High school Sports Writer

March 19, 2015

This weekend I was driving up to the city when I lost control of my car. I was not speeding. I was not texting. I was not under the influence, snacking or even distracted by friends in the car. I was driving by myself, during the day, on a relatively straight stretch of highway 17, when I hit a slick spot and began to veer too close to the vehicle to my right. While attempting to center myself in my lane, my back wheels slipped out from behind me and I crashed head on into the middle divisor. I bounced off backwards and spun around a full circle and a half until I smashed again into the middle divisor with my back...

Trivia Night

March 16, 2015

On Friday, February 27th, the 6th annual Trivia Challenge took place at the Santa Cruz Civic Center. The doors opened at 6pm--an hour before the trivia started--to allow some time for people to talk, look at the raffle prizes, listen to the live solo guitar, and a plate of free food. At 7pm--after some announcements by an organizer--the master of ceremonies, Dale Julin, started the night off with the first trivia question. The number of people who attended was so small that our numbers did not even fill up half the seats. Yet the many of the people who attended were into the trivia and followed along by answering questions...

PCS Mulls New Furniture Options

January 26, 2015

Over the past two months, new types of desks and chairs have been available for students to try in the A-Pod. Now that it is confirmed that PCS will be moving to their new campus next year, PCS is deciding on new chairs and tables for the new campus. Currently, each room at PCS contains different types of chairs, tables, and solo desks for students and teachers to use. Many of the metal chairs are rusty, bent, and uncomfortable yet still widely used throughout the school. Newer white and mostly plastic chairs have been bought to replace some of these metal chairs but these new plastic chairs are already deteriorating--many...

Protests Follow Salinas Police Chief’s Participation in Book Panel

Nicole Trenchard and Alex Jackson

December 30, 2014

PCS Brings Back ‘Immigration And Identity’ Class

PCS Brings Back ‘Immigration And Identity’ Class

November 7, 2014

Rich discussion and controversial conversation echo across the room. Students’ eyes widen as the class progresses, experiencing a class structure unlike many offered here at PCS. Be warned: substantial reading is required and an open mind is appreciated. History teacher Jessica Barbata’s Immigration and Identity course has resurfaced at PCS this year. Originally offered in the Spring of 2012,...

Valiant Volunteer Leticia Camacho

Valiant Volunteer Leticia Camacho

November 7, 2014

On a Saturday morning, when many PCS students are just waking up, senior Leticia Camacho is volunteering by baking goods for farm workers. “During the holidays, I bake and package good to distribute to local farm workers in my area at Creekside Farms. I have learned a lot from the owners and staff there about what life is really like for immigrants who just want a better life for their families...

California’s Future Looks ‘Droughtful’

California’s Future Looks ‘Droughtful’

November 7, 2014

As of September 16th this year, Governor Jerry Brown signed three bills enforcing better management of groundwater basins in California. However, the legislation made only a small difference in recovering the basins and restoring California’s lacking water supply. In response to the drought, some precautions were made to conserve water across California. In August 2014, water saving rates increased...

Student News Site of Pacific Collegiate School
Community